Occurs when a backup task is waiting for data, or is waiting for a buffer in which to store data. This type is not typical, except when a task is waiting for a tape mount.
You will see BACKUPBUFFER and BACKUPIO wait events whilst backup (and restore) events are taking place. The total time for these waits will equal the elapsed time for your backups.
How to reduce this wait
If your backup is taking too long consider using compressed backups and investigating the backup device to check it is performing as expected.
- Microsoft Docs - sys.dm_os_wait_stats (Transact-SQL)
- sqlskills.com - BACKUPBUFFER
- sqlauthority.com - BACKUPBUFFER and BACKUPIO
If this article doesn't have the information you need you can try searching online. Remember, you can contribute suggestions to this page.
- Google Search for sqlserver - BACKUPBUFFER
- Ecosia Search for sqlserver - BACKUPBUFFER
- Bing Search for sqlserver - BACKUPBUFFER